CABINET DECISIONS – 17 JANUARY 2020
1. Cabinet has agreed to the Ministry of Environment, Solid Waste Management and Climate Change undertaking coastal protection, landscaping and infrastructural works over a stretch of 1.1 kilometre at Providence village, along the Flacq and Mahebourg Coastal Road. The coastal road at Providence is low-lying and the stone masonry retaining wall on the seaward side has been undermined at several places. With the increasing impacts of climate change, sea level rise and frequent storm surges, the existing infrastructure along the coastal stretch might be further damaged, thereby, rendering access along the shoreline difficult.
2. Cabinet has taken note of the arrangements being made by the National Development Unit to enlist the services of a consultant to study the drains network for the Port Louis Central area with a view to abating the flooding problem thereat. In light of the consultancy report, civil works would be carried out to implement adequate drainage network in the area.
3. Cabinet has taken note of the operation of the Commercial Passenger Service for the Metro Express as from 10 January 2020. Some 101,000 passengers have used the new service from 10 to 16 January 2020. Cabinet has also taken note of the operation of the feeder bus system.
4. Cabinet has taken note of the results of the School Certificate Examinations 2019. Some 10,937 out of 15,419 school candidates have been successful in the Examinations. Nine Secondary Schools have secured a 100% pass rate.
5. Cabinet has taken note of the outbreak of pneumonia caused by a new Coronavirus in China and also of the preventive measures that need to be taken. The Ministry of Health and Wellness has issued a communiqué in that respect.