CABINET DECISIONS –18 OCTOBER 2019
1. Cabinet has taken note that an Agreement and a Memorandum of Understanding have been signed between the Republic of Mauritius and the People’s Republic of China, namely –
(a) the Mauritius-China Free Trade Agreement which is the first Agreement that China has signed with a country in Africa. This would give Mauritius access to a huge market of around 1.4 billion people. Mauritius would benefit from duty free access on the Chinese market on 8,227 products and would also be granted a Tariff Rate Quota for special sugar with an in-quota rate of 15% which would reach 50,000 tons over a period of eight years; and
(b) a Memorandum of Understanding on the Establishment of Representative Offices of Trade and Investment Promotion Organisations in Each Other’s Country. This would lay the basis for the opening of an Economic and Trade Office by the Economic Development Board in Shanghai and would facilitate promotional activities of the Government of Mauritius in key target cities in line with the “Go East Strategy”, to explore avenues to increase FDI and trade between Mauritius and China.
2. Cabinet has taken note that the Freeport (Amendment of Schedule) Regulations 2019 would be promulgated under the Freeport Act for the deletion of two freeport zones where freeport activities are no longer being carried out and the creation of three new freeport zones.
3. Cabinet has taken note that Mauritius has been elected to represent the Regional Commission for Africa at the United Nations World Tourism Organization Executive Council for the period 2021-2023.
4. Cabinet has taken note that a National Workshop would be held on 23 and 24 October 2019 to sensitise the authorities on the role of the Land Drainage Authority and to share methods and techniques recommended by the Authority for an integrated drainage management with a view to increasing resilience to flooding. The Workshop would be organised by the consultants appointed by the Agence Française de Développement to provide technical assistance for the setting up and operationalisation of the Land Drainage Authority and the development of a Land Drainage Master Plan.
5. Cabinet has taken note that the 1st Edition of the Fédération Africaine Continental du Sport Universitaire (FASU) Badminton Universities Championship would be held from 21 to 22 October 2019, at the University of Mauritius. FASU, which is the continental affiliate of Fédération Internationale du Sport Universitaire (FISU), is responsible for the organisation and governance of competitions for university student athletes on the African continent.