CABINET DECISIONS – 23 DECEMBER 2016
1. Cabinet has taken note that the Integrity Reporting Board has been constituted as follows –
Chairperson - The Rt Hon the Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers, KG, PC
Members - Dr Satyabhooshan Gupt Domah, former Puisne Judge
- Mr Jugdish Dev Phokeer, Permanent Secretary
The functions of the Integrity Reporting Board are to determine –
(a) whether an application for an Unexplained Wealth Order shall be made;
(b) what further action, if any, shall be taken in respect of the report; and
(c) whether any person deserves a reward and the quantum thereof.
2. Cabinet has taken note that, during the International Conference on Air Services Negotiations Event, organised by the International Civil Aviation Organisation, the Mauritius delegation had air service negotiations with 12 countries, namely, Brazil, Canada, Cambodia, Côte d’Ivoire, Greece, India, Republic of Korea, Namibia, Poland, the Seychelles, Spain, and United Republic of Tanzania, initialed nine Bilateral Air Services Agreements, and signed nine corresponding Memoranda of Understanding/Agreed Minutes. A new Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Mauritius and India, where provisions have been made for domestic codeshare rights between the designated airlines of Mauritius and India. The delegation also had informal meetings with the representatives of Ethiopia, the United Arab Emirates and the United States of America.
Cabinet has agreed to the setting up of a Ministerial Committee under the Chairmanship of the Deputy Prime Minister, Minister of Energy and Public Utilities, and Minister of Tourism to look into how best to expand the air routes of Mauritius.
3. Cabinet has taken note that Mr Beejaye Coomar Appanna, OSK, has been appointed Chairperson of the National Wage Consultative Council.
4. Cabinet has taken note that the Commonwealth Secretariat has appointed Mr Baboo Chekitan Servansing, former Ambassador, to serve as Chair of the Commonwealth Foundation for a term of two years as from 1 January 2017. The Commonwealth Foundation is one of the three intergovernmental agencies of Commonwealth, alongside the Commonwealth Secretariat and the Commonwealth of Learning. The aim of the Foundation is to maintain and improve standards of knowledge attainment in the skilled and learned professions within the Commonwealth.
5. Cabinet has taken note that Anna Medical College would be authorised to enrol students for first year undergraduate medical programmes. The promoters of the College have invested in a new Campus at Montagne Blanche, that would comprise, inter alia, seven laboratories, five demonstration rooms, and a library with a seating capacity of 130 students. The Anna Medical College has also renewed its collaboration with University of Technology, Mauritius for a further period of five years.
6. Cabinet has taken note that the University of Technology, Mauritius would be included in the registered list of medical institution of the Medical Council for the purposes of registration.
7. Cabinet has taken note that the Minister of Industry, Commerce and Consumer Protection would promulgate the Consumer Protection (Safety Requirements) Regulations 2016 for the introduction of standards on 20 household and electrical appliances and accessories with a view to protecting consumers against safety risks and hazards that may be caused by the use of such appliances of poor quality. The appliances include hair dryers, fans, ovens, lamps, and dish and clothes washing machines. The regulations would be effective as from 1 October 2017.
8. Cabinet has taken note of the reconstitution of the Opticians Registration Board with the Senior Chief Executive of the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life as Chairperson.
9. Cabinet has taken note that Prof Dr Theesan Bahorun, GOSK, has been appointed Chairperson of Polytechnics Mauritius. The main objectives of Polytechnics Mauritius are to –
(a) set up and manage public polytechnics; and
(b) put up and maintain any such infrastructure necessary for the development of Polytechnic Education.
10. Cabinet has taken note that 1,800 pints of blood had been collected during the Mega Blood Donation held on 21 December 2016.