1. In the context of the on-going WTO negotiations on Trade in Services, and in line with the Doha Ministerial Declaration, Cabinet has agreed to the recommendations of the WTO National Committee for the tabling of requests for market openings for our services providers to countries with which Mauritius has significant economic relations or to countries representing market potentials.
2. Cabinet has agreed that pending the passing of the new Local Government Bill, a Bill to amend the Local Government Act, 1989 will be introduced into the National Assembly to provide for the extension of the mandate of existing district and village Councillors until 2003, and the election of the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of each district and Village Council to be held, this year, between 5 and 12 August. The Minister of Local Government and Rodrigues proposes to hold a press conference on this matter next week.
3. Cabinet has agreed that Part VI of Rodrigues Regional Assembly Act would be proclaimed to come into operation on 28 June 2002.
4. Cabinet has taken note that the 4th Executive Meeting of the African Women in Sport Association will be held in Mauritius from 26 to 28 June 2002. The Association aims inter alia at encouraging and promoting the participation of girls and women in sports through better coaching and training techniques.
5. Cabinet has taken note of the outcome of the missions of –
(i) the Prime Minister to Rome where he attended the World Food Summit: Five Years Later and the 3rd NEPAD Heads of State and Government Implementation Committee Meeting;
(ii) the Minister of Agriculture, Food Technology & Natural Resources to Rome where he participated in the 22nd Session of the FAO Regional Conference for Africa follow-up meeting held prior to the FAO World Food Summit;
(iii) the Minister of Environment to Indonesia from 27 May to 8 June 2002, where he attended the 4th Preparatory Committee (Prepcom IV) on the World Summit on Sustainable Development; and
(iv) the Minister of Information Technology and Telecommunications to Paris from 29 to 31 May 2002, where he participated in the Conference/Exhibition SECA/ProgiMark 2002.