CABINET DECISIONS –14 MAY 2010
1. Following the meeting Dr the Hon Navinchandra Ramgoolam, GCSK, FRCP, Prime Minister, had with Mr Nicolas Sarkozy, President of the Republic of France, in Paris in June 2008 on the issue of the sovereignty of Tromelin Island, it was agreed that, in the first instance, Mauritius and France should agree on a mechanism for the co-management of the Island.
Subsequently, two rounds of talks were held between Mauritius and France. As a result, a Framework Agreement providing for the establishment of a regime of economic, scientific and environmental co-management relating to Tromelin Island, as well as its territorial sea and Exclusive Economic Zone, has been drawn up.
Cabinet has taken note that, in this connection, HE Alain Joyandet, Secrétaire d’Etat Français chargé de la Coopération et de la Francophonie would be in Mauritius on 7 June 2010 to sign the Framework Agreement.
2. Cabinet has taken note that the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and International Trade, in his letter congratulating the newly-elected British Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs has, in particular, drawn his attention to the pending sovereignty and resettlement issues concerning the Chagos Archipelago, including the creation of a Marine Protection Area in its surrounding waters. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Regional Integration and International Trade has also sought the support of the Commonwealth Action Group on these issues.
3. Cabinet has taken note that the French Government would shortly ratify the bilateral Agreement on Circular Migration signed in September 2008. The Agreement provides for the temporary migration of 850 Mauritians in the following categories yearly –
Métiers autorisés (500), Echanges des jeunes professionnels (200), Cartes compétences et talents (150).
A similar Agreement would be signed with the Government of Canada.
4. Cabinet has taken note that the Ministry of Social Security, National Solidarity and Reform Institutions would carry out the national Anti-Influenza Vaccination Programme from 17 May to 10 June 2010. The Programme would cover elderly persons aged 60 and above, inmates of charitable institutions, as well as children attending specialized schools.
The Vaccination Programme would also be carried out in Rodrigues.
5. Following the resurgence of Chikungunya and Dengue in the neighbouring region, particularly Reunion Island and Comoros, Cabinet has taken note of measures taken by the Ministry of Health and Quality of Life to enhance surveillance, detection and control of the diseases in accordance with the Operational Plan for the Prevention and Control of Chikungunya and Dengue. That Ministry has stepped up fogging and larviciding activities and intensified the anti-mosquito campaigns. The public is advised to drain water on roof tops after a rainfall and keep their environment clean.
Cabinet has further taken note that vigilance at the airport and the port is being enhanced.
6. Cabinet has taken note that the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development has started a national clean-up campaign to remove all flags and banners, as well as the temporary noticeboards, put up during the National Assembly Elections Campaign.