1. Cabinet has taken note of activities that would be organized by the Ministry of Gender Equality, Child Development and Family Welfare to mark the centenary of the International Women’s Day commemorated on 8 March, viz.,-
(a) organization of a Forum on “Women as Agents of Transformation ”;
(b) launching of booklets - 10 Questions and Answers on the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women; The Unfinished Agenda of Women’s Participation in Decision Making; and Economic Empowerment of Women: the key to success;
(c) launching of a National Platform on "Women in Politics ";
(d) holding of a Women Entrepreneur's Week at the National Women Development Centre, Phoenix;
(e) inauguration of the Home Economics Production Centre cum Sales Outlet at Plaine des Papayes; and
(f) holding of a symposium on the theme “Rejuvenating Women’s Movements in Mauritius: A challenge for the National Women’s Council ”.
The theme of the Day chosen by the UN is "Equal access to education, training and science and technology: Pathway to decent work for women ".
2. Cabinet has taken note of the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding between the National Women Entrepreneur Council and the British American Insurance Company (Mauritius) Limited, under the Corporate Social Responsibility Programme, providing for capacity building of some 1,000 women entrepreneurs in core areas, namely legal framework of business, sales management, business planning, market surveys, business etiquette, finance and costing, quality management, e-business and packaging, amongst others.
3. Cabinet has taken note of arrangements being made by the Ministry of Social Security, National Solidarity and Reform Institutions for the vaccination of inmates of charitable institutions, children attending specialized schools, and elderly persons aged 60 and above against influenza in view of the forthcoming winter season.
4. Cabinet has taken note of arrangements being made by the Ministry of Business, Enterprise, Cooperatives and Consumer Protection with ARHIM to improve market access to local handicraft products.
Cabinet has further taken note of the preparation of a catalogue of handicraft products for distribution to potential buyers.
5. Cabinet has taken note of developments in the introduction of ‘Kreol Morisien’ and Bhojpuri as optional subjects in primary schools.
Cabinet has also taken note of the document on the standardized writing system entitled ‘LOrtograf Kreol Morisien’ that covers, inter alia, the recommended orthography, punctuation and scientific notations (quantity and measurement).
6. Cabinet has taken note of the outcome of the bilateral air services talks held between the Aeronautical Authorities of Mauritius and those of Mozambique, which concluded in the signature of a Memorandum of Understanding providing, inter alia, for -
(a) the designated airlines of Mauritius to operate to three points in Mozambique, namely Maputo, Beira and Nampula, and those of Mozambique from the same points;
(b) the designated airline(s) to operate in each direction three frequencies per week using any aircraft type; and
(c) the operation of all cargo services between and beyond the territory of the Parties would be unrestricted in terms of frequency and aircraft type, with respect to third and fourth freedom traffic rights.
7. Cabinet has taken note of arrangements being made by the CEB to meet the demand of electricity in the medium and long term. It is expected that the peak power demand would reach 533 MW in 2020.
8. Cabinet has agreed to the Instruments of ratification of the Statute of the International Renewable Energy Agency being deposited. The main objectives of the Agency are to promote all forms of renewable energy and facilitate access to renewable energy information, including technical data, economic data and renewable resource potential data.
9. Cabinet has taken note of the reconstitution of –
(a) the National Productivity and Competitiveness Council with Mr Rajendraprasad Mungur as Chairperson; and
(b) the Caretaker Board of the Mauritius Fishermen Cooperative Federation Limited with Mr Nicolas Martin as Chairperson.